Tuesday, September 13, 2011

No ordinary people

"There are no ordinary people.  You have never talked to a mere mortal.  Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations - these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat.  But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendors."


C. S. Lewis






Joyously, my staff are amongst the "everlasting splendors" that Lewis mentions.  I would have a hard time finding a better group of people with which to work.

As more people become staff members, I find that they, too, become members of this group in the fullest sense.  For the size of this group, we are able to remain remarkably clique-free.  Yesterday, I was reminded of the fact that most people - even in the non-profit field - deal with cliques, back-biting and "office politics" as part of the normal daily grind that is the result of working with a humanoid group.

 I am very thankful that we count each other as friends, and in some cases, family.  We have come to realize the truth in another statement by C. S. Lewis;


"Friendship is the instrument by which God reveals to each of us the beauties of others."  


Thank you to my staff - you are all my friends and I look forward to our next few years together.



Popular Posts