Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What's special about tomorrow?

"There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship."  
                                                           Thomas Aquinas

This picture poses several questions.

Let's ignore the questions about the silly hat.

Instead, let's answer this -

Who's the guy getting the hug?

Well, he's a Humanitarian.  And a Patron with Honors.

He's also the guy who helped me recover my relationship with my dad.

When I was a new staff member, one of the first counselling actions that I received was Key to Life.  I distinctly remember modeling various life situations in clay and getting a chance to examine them.

One of the things that I had the opportunity to look at was my relationship with my father.  Not unlike many young adults, I felt beset by difficulties on this front - although he was what I would now describe to be a kind and caring individual, at the time I didn't see things that way.

During this course of counselling, I came to the startling conclusion that my father was not the source of the problems in that relationship.... I was.  This one shift in viewpoint lead directly to my calling him up and reconciling with him completely.  I have no doubt that this one action is a key reason that my daughter has such a relationship with her "papa" that the first thing she does when she gets a new calendar is mark Grandparents Day - even before she marks her own birthday.

And so it is with good reason that I wish Chuck a very happy birthday tomorrow.  I count him as a friend, as I hope that he considers that I am his friend.


















Popular Posts