Friday, September 9, 2011

Sunny side up

I received a thank you card yesterday.  It was unusual in that it was addressed to four people.

"Dear Kerry, Fran, Robin and Chad,


"It is almost a year since I completed [auditing].  I feel I am the most stable I have ever been in my life.  I have gotten myself into some pretty gnarly situations but I always knew it would turn out ok.  This is confidence I didn't have before.


Joshua Radin sums up how I feel pretty nicely: 'It's a brand new day, the sun is shining...for the first time in such a long, long time I know I'll be ok.'


Thank you so so so much for helping to get me here.  You guys and all the staff of the St. Louis org are amazing!!"


There are not too many professions at which one could expect to get a letter like that a year after the fact.  School teachers must feel the same way when they recognize a past student who is living a successful life.

This letter also serves to remind me that we are engaged in a group activity.  Auditing does not happen in a vacuum.  Spiritual enlightenment is not an individual pursuit.  Innumerable monasteries, temples and religious retreats were founded on this premise.  While there may be a very few exceptional people who were so spiritually talented that they could achieve spiritual freedom on their own, the rest of us must rely on the support of our dedicated friends to get there.


Popular Posts